Friday, May 13, 2011

Monster First Birthday Party: Decorations

**Lots of pictures since I styled and photographed the party J**
When Tracy and I first talked about doing her son’s Monster First Birthday Party, I couldn’t sleep because I had a million ideas running around in my head! I literally had to get up to write them all down! You can see our inspiration board here.

{Invitation, banner and cupcake toppers by Sealed with a J}
{Big Monster made with crumpled streamers, tape, boa, balloon and paper}

Tracy pictured the party to be fun and laid back with monsters and kids running around everywhere. Like most people, she hated the thought of crafting and would rather buy stuff and call it a day. But when the crafting was done, she liked it! J Even her cousins were shocked and asked when she got so crafty. And she replied “From talking to Mindy!” 
{Little Monster made with 3 boas, wreath form, wreath stand, balloon, chopsticks and binder clips}
{Party hat made from scrapbook paper and streamers}

{Giveaways were lollipops from Oriental Trading tied with ribbons that said Thank You and a googly eye. Tracy wrapped formula cans with $1 furry scarves and googly eyes with a styrofoam ball inside for support.}

{The I-thought-I'd-hate-crafting Momma made these utensil holders out of tissue boxes and egg cartons.
She's also reusing them for future parties by adding hats depending on the event haha}

{Onesie folded into a picture frame}

She thought it was fun finding cheap supplies too - like $1 blue furry scarves from the thrift store and a blow up ball pit from Target for $7 (kept the kids busy!). I’m also proud of Tracy for thinking outside of the box like when she bought monster gift bags even though she didn’t know what to do with them. They were perfect to line the dessert table.




{Happy Birthday Sign is a book from Michael’s. I added eyes, ribbon and sign from MS Word}
{Peanut Butter Oatmeal M&M Cookies – recipe courtesy of Paula Deen + 1 stick of butter}

{Marshmallows stuck in wrapped floral foam and standing on wrapping paper lined plates}
{Tablecloth is a bed sheet!}

{Momma Tre made the chocolate covered marshmallows herself}
{Cake pops by Danielle Shannon inside soup cans wrapped with boas with eyes glued on}
{Cupcake stands from World Market, $4.50 each with sale + 2 coupons, hollaaaa!} 

{Kids love cake pops!}

{Ferrero Rocher cupcakes and vanilla cupcakes with fondant toppers to match invite
and Rainbow Cake by Geneveve Perada}
{Lil Cake Monster loved the sweets!}
{Birthday boy is done.}

I’m glad Tracy thought the party turned out amazing! It makes what I do worthwhile J


linked up here:
Sweet Shot Day

29 comments:

Melissa @ knit purl baby said...

So adorable!! This has be all amped up for my son's first birthday party!! Only 17 more days!!! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Jodie said...

What a fantastic party! The details are amazing!

I'm your newest follower! I would love for you to stop by sometime!

Warm Wishes,
Jodie

http://lovelaughteranddecor.blogspot.com/

Kelli @ RTSM said...

Such an awesome party! I love all the little googly eyes everywhere and the utensil holders are genuis!

stinertrev said...

mmmmmm looks so good!

Seema said...

Wow! Mindy, the party turned out so well! Looks amazing. Love the the colors and the detail. Great job! Congrats~!

Lee Marc said...

wow!! this is a great party! amazing! I guess everybody enjoyed it! :)

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! This party was beautiful - love the cake! So impressed and also loving the little bows below. Stopping by from the Alexa hop, and I'm your newest follower.

Here is my Alexa hop linked post: http://www.meldreamsoften.com/2011/05/swiss-enchiladas-vegetarian-dish.html

Kelsey said...

I LOVE it! You did an amazing job with the moster bash. I would love to feature it on my blog if you are interested - www.everyday-is-a-celebration.blogspot.com

Let me know if you are interested!
Thank You,
Kelsey
kelsalexandra(@)hotmail(dot)com

Gretchen said...

Sooooooo cool! Great decor, great photos. =)

Karen said...

Love, love, & love! Awesome job!

Sha'Wakanee said...

WHOA! What a cool party! Im so inspired.

Raine said...

Lovely details! Love love! very inspiring.Thanks for sharing :)

Ashley said...

Too funny! I was looking for monster b-day party ideas for my little guy and he has a lot of the stuff shown in the pictures here! I love the ideas they make me think about how creative you can get with this theme!

Anonymous said...

Love this! What about the monster banner, where it's that from?

Lil Mama Stuart said...

The monster "banner" was made from gift bags from the $1 store. We simply ripped the monsters off the bags and taped them to the table :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!! Would they still be around you think? My son is only 2 mos. Old but already im planning up his 1st bday party :D that banner would be perfect

Lil Mama Stuart said...

Monster goods are usually available all year round. If you can't find these gift bags, just think outside the box ;) You never know what you can repurpose into something else!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! :D

Erica said...

I was wondering if you have a step by step or better directions for how you made your hanging monsters? I am having a monster party for my son's 1st birthday and would love to add these to my decor!

Thanks-
Erica

Adriel's Mommy said...

I agrees with Erica! My son needs those at his party too!!

Mia @ The Celebration Shoppe said...

LOVE your little monster boxes! And the entire party. I linked it up to our new weekly link party. :)

One Creative Housewife said...

I love this theme! So cute!

Lyndsey said...

What type of paint exactly did you use to paint the tissue boxes into monster boxes?

Lyndsey said...

Or did you use paint at all? I'm trying to do some monster utensil holders too!!! : ) Appreciate any help you can give.

Lil Mama Stuart said...

Erica and Adriel's mommy - the big blue hanging monster behind the sweets table is simply different lengths of crumpled up streamers taped to the mirror. The eye ball is a white balloon with black cardstock. The mouth and antennae are boas, simply taped to the mirror.

Hi Lyndsey - Yep, the utensil holders were painted. Any type of craft paint should work on the outside (try acrylics)

Janet said...

Hi Mindy,

We linked to your post with the idea of using the utensil boxes as a Valentine's Mailbox.

http://www.confetticouture.com/blog/valentines-mailbox-idea/

Gina said...

What a cute party! Where did you find the Little Cake Monster shirt?

Lil Mama Stuart said...

Hi Gina, I think Babies R Us? It was a few years ago so I forget.

Ben Spence said...

This is interesting analysis about Birthday Party Decorations.I really like it.
Birthday Party Decorations