Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, December 17, 2012

Where I Was...

Just like how you will always remember where you were when you heard about the 9/11 attacks, I don't think I'll forget when I heard about the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

On Friday, I took the day off for Mia's first holiday show at pre-school. After practicing time and time again, I watched Mia and her 20 friends sing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Jingle Bells with their precious toddler voices.


The holiday festivities continued with gingerbread cookie decorating and painting ornaments. I headed back upstairs for lunch, looking forward to an afternoon by myself. With my day off, I planned on taking care of Christmas errands efficiently, quietly and in peace, without a toddler in tow. 

After watching the 11 o'clock news while eating lunch, my plans changed. It is very rare that I react emotionally to the news. But this time. It was different. Like so many others, I shed tears trying to wrap my head around why and how someone could do such a terrible thing to innocent children. Their precious lives have been stolen from them and families are left with gaping holes in their hearts. How will the families go about their daily lives without their little ones who had so much ahead of them? How will the children who survived but witnessed the horror not have a tainted outlook on life? How can you not wonder, what has our world come to!? Bless those teachers' souls who put their lives on the line to shield their children. As my heart weighed heavy for those families whose lives are forever changed by no fault of their own, I couldn't go about my day as planned. I picked up my little one early to give her extra hugs, smother her with wet kisses, take in her scent and to keep her little heart beside mine. The errands could wait.

May those innocent children and brave teachers rest in peace while the families take {some} comfort knowing our nation mourns with them.

2 comments:

Lili said...

to this day, i still cry hearing about it over and over. there are no words.

Christine Trevino said...

Love Mia's holiday show - looks like you guys had so much fun.

I cannot put the Sandy Hook tragedy out of my mind. Fabulous post.