Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 15, 2010

So Many Variables...

If you think buying a DSLR camera automatically means better pictures, you might be a little right, but there's so much more to it than you think.  Here are a few things that (I try) to have go through my mind in that split second of trying to perfectly capture a moment…

…white balance, ISO, aperture, shutter speed; placing the subject in the right spot; what’s in the background; lighting; metering; continuous focus or not; filling the frame; leading lines; horizons; cropping off limbs; coaching the subjects to feel comfortable and natural; avoiding shooting at their “bad angles”; hot spots; how to pose the subject; what angle to shoot from…and most importantly – did I get even get the shot??

What am I forgetting?  I’d love feedback to keep improving…I’m so glad I have Michele and Andy as mentors to help me along as I learn how to shoot in manual.

And then not to mention post processing! Aaaaaaah!  I’m not ready to learn how to post-process yet.  There are a million other things on Mama Stuart’s project list. I know - who doesn’t play with PhotoShop these days?  Baby steps…

For those of you who have a DSLR, but don't know how to get the most out of it, I have a wonderful link for you!  Miss B from my Food + Foto class shared this series with us and it is SO helpful!  I learned the basics from MishaMedia's 101 class, but this tutorial helps reinforce what I learned.  Check it out! The concepts are put into simple terms and analogies (i.e. for moms...aperture = dilation, lol) for anyone to understand.  But before you try to learn, please read your manual. As my dad always says, and I totally agree, “A computer [or any other device] is only as smart as its user.” If you don't know your camera, you won't get the shots.

Come back tomorrow to see some pictures from my second family photo shoot and my first time with my new lens!

0 comments: